Re: Auto-update .twmrc?

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 06:29:48PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> On 31-May-2002 Jeffrey Chimene wrote:
> > I think the answer is "you can't", but I'll ask anyway:
> >
> > Is there any way to auto-update .twmrc when new software's installed?
> >
> > I think the answer is "no" because twm doesn't implement an *include*
> > directive for .twmrc. I don't want to switch window managers: this is a
> > memory constrained system and twm seems to be a nice compromise between
> > functions and memory.
> >
> > The debian menu documentation describes customization of menus when the
> > window manager implements an *include* directive.
> >

> The problem is you either need an include directive or you need a spot in the
> wm which stats the file and re-reads it occasionally.

I missed the beginning of this thread, but I have implemented an
auto-update mechanism for .twmrc though. Menu-hooks from
/etc/X11/twm/menudefs.hook are concatenated with some sections with my
personal settings into ~/.twmrc

A few scripts in ~/bin/ let my thus change the way my favorite
applications are called by twm (my need for flexibility come from
using different terminals with different resolutions). These scripts
have entries in the twm-menus.

Mail me off-list if you want examples.

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux emac140 2.4.17 #1 sön feb 10 20:21:22 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Hans Ekbrand