networking with a DSL router

Hi all,

I bought an Ovislink SR-500 router/switch, but can't configure it.

It has a default address of, and I'm supposed to be able
to configure it via telnet at port 333.  Unfortunately I can't even ping

My internet connection is up on ppp0/eth0 as I write this and I'm
trying the following steps:

	ifconfig eth1
	route add eth1
and route -n says

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref
Use Iface UH    0      0 0 ppp0 UH    0      0 0 eth1   U     0      0 0 eth0   U     0      0 0 eth1         UG    0      0 0 ppp0

When I try ping I can see the light on the router
flashing but get 100% packet loss.  telnet just times out.
(the stuff is from snort, I think)

I know next to nothing about networking and its manual assumes M$.
Does anyone have any ideas on where I'm going wrong?

	"There are 10 different kinds of people in the world,
	those who count in binary, and those who don't"