Re: color boot text

nick lidakis <nick.lidakis@verizon.net> writes:
> I would like to have my thinkpad x22 boot with colored text. Simple
> red will do.  Is that possible without using the framebuffer?

Nothing about booting Linux, in general, is inherently
black-and-white.  But...

> If I remember correctly, a friend running red hat had color text
> while his machine was booting. Is there a howto on how to set this
> up?

...Red Hat's init scripts do some really bizarre things, but one of
the consequences of this is that they print output in a ~standard
format with a green "OK" or a red "failed".  Debian doesn't have the
seventeen-levels-deep-of-included-sh-script thing going, but this
means that there's also no obvious/standard way for packages' init
scripts to do the "pretty" output.  There's not an easy way to set
this up for every package, though it is possible in principle to
modify everything in /etc/init.d to do what you want.

	-- Abra Mitchell