Debugging libraries

I've installed the debugging libraries libc6-dbg 2.2.5-6 and

I'm trying to debug a perl module that calls aspell's c++ library.  But gdb
isn't showing me what I need to know.  Are there source packages I need to
install, too?

(gdb) s
217     in
(gdb) s
218     in
(gdb) s

0x40076781 in __kill () at __kill:-1
-1      __kill: No such file or directory.
        in __kill

What's happening is aspell is throwing an exception which is normall caught
(and ignored).  When I run the perl module with PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 (which
sets a flag on dlopen() RTLD_NOW) the program aborts as above.

If I start debugging from the exception constructor code the above gdb
session is what I see right before it aborts.  I need the source, I belive,
to see what's really happening.  Any suggestions?

Bill Moseley