Re: adding 'pool' to apt sources

On Sat, 2002-06-01 at 15:15, Ted M Goodridge, Jr wrote:
> Okay, I understand that now.  I want to upgrade mozilla to the rc-3, and
> for the life of me can't get apt-get install to upgrade it.  I'm pretty
> sure im using the correct version number, but I'm lost

Ok your probably trying to put the unstable version on to a testing or
stable system.  If it is a stable system just dist-upgrade to woody.  If
it is already at testing(woody), you can use apt pinning.  Do a 'man
apt_preferences' to get a good listing of what apt pinning is.  You
should read that first.  Then add this to a file called
'/etc/apt/preferences'
Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 100

Then go and add unstable sources to your sources.list file(hint: copy
your woody/testing sources and change woody/testing to unstable).  After
this do an 'apt-get update && apt-get -t unstable install mozilla' and
you should be running the mozilla version you want.  But watch out
getting stuff from unstable.  Stuff in there is known to be broken and
you use it at your own risk(even though in practice unstable is quite
stable).

--
-Peace kid
  Scott Henson	shenson2@wvu.edu

"God's the ultimate playa, so naturally He's going to have some haters,"
rapper Ice Cube said. "But these haters need to realize that  if you
mess with the man upstairs, you will get your ass smote. True dat."