Re: ipchains or iptables? (was: X version)

There is no provision that I am aware of in 2.2 kernels for iptables.
You do have to set up packet filtering, etc., when you build your
kernel.  2.4 kernels do allow for ipchains, but you must selet that
option when you build them.  Selecting one (ipchains or iptables)
blocks use of the other, so the presence of iptables directories,
etc. in your woody distribution should have no effect.  It does
nothing in mine but take up space (I'm running woody with 2.4.18 and
using ipchains).  Woody also provides some ipchains scripting that is
not present in potato.  I'd look for that (I'd point you to it, except
that I think I wiped it out, having my own startup script).

Good luck

Cam

--
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.