Re: 'hw' RAID1

On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 01:17:43AM +0200, Robert Ludvik wrote:
> Hi
> How can I install Debian on ABIT motherboard with onboard HPT370A controler?
> For other distros there are boot images on hpt homepage...
> I tried to install with:
> "linux.bin ide2=0x...,0x... ide3=0x..., 0x..." like it says in some article
> but  when it boots it finds disks hde and hdg and freezes at "Checking
> partitions:   hde"
> I've checked my hw, for a simple/stupid test I've even tried to install RH7.2
> with a boot img from thgeir web site and it went OK - I could see only one
> disk sda.
> there's a htpxx-opensource...tgz which I've downloaded and build but don't
> realy know how to use it :-(
> any help...
> robert

I don't know how to get it to install straight on, I wouldn't suggest
this is a good way to do things, I would hang a small hdd off a normal
IDE channel, install onto that and then try to get the raid working.

Having said that,  general opinion still seems to be that those cheap
raid chipsets are just that, and are also unreliable and generally a
waste of space. You will have more success (I suspect) hanging all your
disks off normal IDE channels and setting up software RAID: that is
proven to work and there are a lot of people who are knowledgeable as to
how to get it to work etc etc. Read the howto on it.

Matthew

--

Matthew Sackman
Nottingham

mysql> select * from users where clue > 0;
0 rows returned.