Re: inserting carriage return characters

On Sat, 1 Jun 2002, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 12:20:49AM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
>
> > as I have learned in life, sometimes morality takes a back seat to paying rent.
> > It hurts, you fight it, and the strong leave it behind.  But sometimes, you do
> > what you have to in order to survive.
>
> True enough.  Though my wage requirement for a Windows shop is twice
> what I ask for unix shops.  You want me to geek in my nausea zone?  Pay
> for the anguish, that's all I ask.

This is what I do for code too.  If someone wants a database app (perl/cgi)
that will not be opensourced (like a mortgage broker, whatever) I charge
double.

I have a question that really irritates me (both my own stupidity and
the problem itself):

If I get a shell script from someone and go to run it, sometimes it
returns 'bad interpreter' due to a trailing ^M after the shebang line.
No problem to lose this interloper but I want to know why elvis will
not display control chars!  If I run vi (elvis) with no args and then
load the file using :r filename the characters are displayed.  But if
I pass the name of the file as an arg (vi filename) the characters are
not displayed!  And the set command (or whatever) that forces vi to
print them eludes me.  Anyone know how to do this???

Cheers

Thomas Good                                  e-mail: tomg@sqlclinic.net
Programmer/Analyst                           phone:   (+1) 718.818.5528
Residential Services                         fax:     (+1) 718.818.5056
Behavioral Health Services, SVCMC-NY         mobile:  (+1) 917.282.7359
SQL Clinic - An Open Source Clinical Record           www.sqlclinic.net