Re: Kills Linux hdd's?

On Friday 31 May 2002 10:25 pm, Dale Hair wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-05-31 at 23:38, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 10:03:25PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> > > My co-workers and I have seen (or actually "heard") a lot of this over
> > > the past four or five years. The Gateway computers we purchased came
> > > with Western Digital drives. Accordingly, we've pretty much developed
> > > an attitude against this brand. (NOTE: We haven't seen the problems so
> > > much
> >
> > I've never had a problem with WD's Caviar line.
>
> I still have a Caviar 200M drive in the original 486-33/VLB system, it
> was very heavily use as a cad system for a few years with OS/2.  Now it
> serves as a BSD router/firewall.  I would guess it has surpassed it's
> MTBF by now.  I wish all drives and MBs would last this long.

i had a caviar 750meg that was fscked straight out of the box. when i brought
it back to the shop, the guy at the desk replaced it with a maxtor and told
me i would be doing him a favor by taking the dead caviar drive with me
because he was sick of doing the paper-work on the returns. that was about
six or seven years ago, when wd was hurting bad because because of flawed
production. i eventually took it apart to show my son the mechanics of it.
six months ago, while he was still thirteen, he built his own system. little
punk has also outgrown me by an inch, or if you take his word, an inch and a
half. still can't get him to embrace linux--he's a gamer.

ben