Re: Sound (?)

alo@purdue.edu wrote:
I've done most of my experimenting with XMMS, so that's where this question comes from.

When you try to use XMMS to play an MP3, what happens? Do you get an error about checking for the correct output plugin? Or does it seem to play but you simply hear no sound?

Kent

When I try to play an MP3, it brings up te standard error window asking if I've configured my card properly, have no programs blocking the card, and if I have the correct output plugin. I tried messing around with the output plugin, but there wasn't much to play around with. When I run lsmod, I see that all the modules are present, and when I look at amixer, I see that the volume levels are correct. I'm pretty much stumped! What do you (or anyone else on the list) think of the situtation?

Alex

This generally means that even though you have some soundcard modules installed, they aren't the correct modules or they're malfunctioning in some way.

We've had several sound card threads in the past couple of weeks and I'm not sure I can remember what your particular issues are; you might want to repost the relevant basics (what card you have, what modules you're using, whether or not you've compiled your own kernel or are using a pre-compiled one, what you've compiled in/modularized, what version of kernel, etc).

Kent