Re: Floppy formatting.

Subject :
Re: Floppy formatting.

Date :
Fri, 31 May 2002 21:26:17 +1200

Hi Roy
I did as you suggested and it worked fine thanks. And I had no problems
reading the disk onto the other P.C. I'm pretty much a windows person and
would have thought either the kfloppy in KDE or gfloppy in Gnome would have
done the whole job without having to use so many commands.
I never found a file in /etc called drivprm.
I checked the man superformat page and did a floppymeter on my drive. Then
as I couldn't find any file /etc/driveprm I created one in emacs and added
the info returned from floppymeter and saved it. So next time I need to
format I'll see if it bypasses the preformat tests, which if it does will
hopefully indicate that the file i have created is being used to access the
drive.(which will save time I hope). I will load the mtools tonight, thanks
for the tip.

Regards

  From: AE Roy <debian_user@linuxfreemail.com

   From: AE Roy <debian_user@linuxfreemail.com>
To: arthur_dent5@hotmail.com
Subject: Floppy formatting.
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 04:10:24 -0700 (PDT)

This line mkfs -t ext2 /dev/fd0 1400 will put a filesystem on your floppy,
which is OK. But what you first want to do is to format it, with something
like (as root) superformat /dev/fd0. Then you can put a filesystem on it,
I personally like to put a dosfilesystem on them, that way you can use
them on all kind of OS, do it like this mkfs -t msdos /dev/fd0
Then you should install the package mtools, which is utilities to access
DOS disks in Unix. With mtools installed you can do things such as
mcopy thisfile a:
mdir

Roy,
feedback please.