Floppy formatting.

I installed debian on this compaq 1692 laptop a couple of weeks ago and it went very well. With driver from linmodems I now have the internal modem going o.k. etc. Last weekend I tried to install woody onto a hp 8805 desktop and it is not booting properly. I think it is something to do with the s3 savage graphics. I downloadeda driver from a site, but was unable to format a floppy properly to transfer it to the other p.c.. I tried using both Kfloppy and Gfloppy and I always endup with different amounts of free space on the many disks I tried. They all format fine under windows. Sometimes I end up with say 850KB after formatting and with the same disk if I retry I might get 1MB free after formatting. But irrespective of what amount it formats to as soon as I put the disk into the other machine it says the floppy has crc errors and wont read anything off the floppies. Both P.C.'s have ext2 file system.?

When I installed woody, when it got to the stage that it was almost ready to reboot and and asked me if I wished to create a boot floppy, it said after creating the boot floppy:
"add to /etc/driveprm
drive0:deviation=1120"

but later I could not find any file of the name driveprn under the directory of /etc/ ?
Where do I find driveprn and doesanyone think it will make any difference?

The command I used to format was: mkfs -t ext2 /dev/fd0 1400.
Thanks
Mike