Re: Making /home not accessible by outsiders

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 03:32:37PM +0000, Pollywog wrote:
| On Thu, 30 May 2002 09:28:34 -0500
| "dman" <dman@dman.ddts.net> wrote:
|
| > To fix existing home directories, if they are all in /home/,
| >
| >     chmod o-r /home/*

Oops, I forgot that the 'adduser' option sets the directories
group-readable as well.  Make that command
     chmod go-r /home/*
if you want to remove group-read permission (eg if multiple users have
the same primary group).

| > Note that you want the directories *executable* so that apache (for
| > example) can "cd" to ~/public_html/ for serving user's pages.
|
| Don't they need to be readable in order to be accessible to Apache?
(answered by Colin)

| I had my home directory o-r but sometimes certain programs could not
| read my user config files, so I had to make my /home/user directory
| o+r   I had this problem with Procmail after installing Cyrus; it
| could not read my ~/.procmailrc

Was cyrus running as root or as your UID?  How does cyrus look for the
file?  (probably requires a look at the source)  If it tries to list
the directory and then search that list for interesting stuff, then it
would need to be readable.  I don't know what stat() requires, but it
probably doesn't need to read the directory.  (IIRC stat() is often
used to check the existance of a file before opening it)  Shell-like
globbing won't work because that requires listing (reading) the
directory.  I would also expect procmail to be run as your UID or else
it's a security hole.

HTH,
-D

--

Who can say, "I have kept my heart pure;
I am clean and without sin"?