Re: cashbook program

Matijs van Zuijlen <Matijs.van.Zuijlen@xs4all.nl> writes:
> On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 12:05:49AM +0800, Russ Pitman wrote:
>> My son thinks that gnucash is a little overkill for his
>> requirements. Can anyone suggest a linux program with similiarity
>> to using M$ money cashbook.
>>
>> This is part of my conversion of the family to freedom.
>
> What does gnucash have that you don't want? Just wondering, since I
> have no experience using MS money. Can't you just not use the
> overkill parts?

When I looked at programs for this sort of thing, I concluded that
Gnucash was the most "industrial"; it was the only free program I
could readily find that would easily accomodate a double-entry-style
accounting system.  Personally, I think this is wonderful, but I can
see how you'd think it's overkill, especially if you don't want to
think about how it actually works.

There do seem to be a couple of other (simpler?) options out there;
among these are gacc, gnofin, and kmymoney2.  You also might find xacc
out there; it's a predecessor to gnucash, and probably won't be
particularly easier to use.

	-- Abra Mitchell