Mail messages in syslog

Greetings,

I recently updated my server to woody, and there is some information that
no longer appears in /var/log/syslog.  It used to be that when an email
message was sent or received on my system, I would get an entry like this:

May 25 10:45:05 doma
sendmail[14834]: KAA14834: from=<bounce-debian-testing=matt
yt=oz.net@lists.debian.org>, size=2903, class=-30, pri=86903, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<l
cw4RC.A.NwB.pz878@murphy>, proto=ESMTP, relay=mattyt@localhost [127.0.0.1]
May 25 10:45:05 doma sendmail[14835]: KAA14834: to=<mattyt@localhost>,
delay=00:
00:01, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, stat=Sent

May 25 11:01:01 doma sendmail[14868]: LAA14868: from=<mattyt@oz.net>,
size=647,
class=0, pri=30647, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<Pine.LNX.4.21.0205251100150.14847-100000@do
ma.mattyt.net>, proto=ESMTP, relay=mattyt@localhost [127.0.0.1]
May 25 11:01:02 doma sendmail[14870]: LAA14868: to=<sinovi@juno.com>,
delay=00:0
0:01, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=esmtp,
relay=mx.nyc.untd.com. [64.136.20.83], stat
=Sent (OK id AAA8Q9WVHACRU872)

These messages are very useful to confirm that messages were received or
to examine errors if there was a problem.  Now all I seem to get is this:

May 30 08:46:40 doma ippl: smtp connection attempt from 127.0.0.1
May 30 08:46:40 doma ippl: auth connection attempt from 127.0.0.1

...which doesn't really tell me anything.

I wondered if something changed with the new /etc/syslog.conf, so I copied
my old one over it (yes, I backed up the new one :) and restarted
sysklogd, but nothing changed, leading me to believe that it is sysklogd
itself that has changed.  (or did Sendmail change?)

I read the man page for sysklogd, but that didn't really tell me what I
need to know.  Is this information still being logged somewhere?  I looked
at /var/log/mail/mail.log, /var/log/messages, /var/log/auth.log, and every
other logfile that looked possible, but to no avail

Thanks in advance :)

Matthew Thompson       http://mattyt.net
mattyt@oz.net          http://www.oz.net/~mattyt
"To understand recursion, one must first understand
recursion."  (seen on LinuxToday.com)