Tuning for processor architecture

I am interested in making special builds of some of my debian packages in order to tune them for the CPU of the specific machines they will be installed on. I would appreciate any input you have on the best way to pursue this, as well as which packages I should tune to get the most benefit.

I believe debian x86 is compiled for 386, and debian powerpc is compiled to run on any powerpc. On x86, I think it would be worthwhile to make Pentium II and Pentium III versions of some packages, tuned for the PC's I own, as well as PowerPC G4 versions for my Mac. I may be getting a 100 MHz Pentium system for free soon, and I think it would be particularly worthwhile to tune the software on that machine.

I already have custom kernel compiles.  I think this helps a fair amount.

I understand Mandrake is optimized for Pentium, and I've seen posts from Mandrake users that say that this makes a great deal of difference.

I heard gcc version 3 has better processor-specific optimization, but it has had a lot of bugs. But I understand that the 3.1 release may be of production quality, though I have not tried it myself. I would be interested to know what people think.

Unfortunately the packages that I think would yield the most benefit from special compiles can be scary to build and replace.

I think that a processor-specific glibc would give a good performance benefit to all my programs, but doing the wrong thing when upgrading it makes one's machine just stop working, and then one also can't reboot. It would be necessary to fix it while booted off an emergency disk, which I've actually had to do when I tried to update my Slackware laptop when trying to install packages from slackware-current on a machine that had an incompatible glibc.

However I have seen glibc upgraded several times while doing updates. Can I do a manual update of glibc on a running machine using the debian package tools without any problems?

An issue with building any libraries is that I would probably not want to have processor-tuned builds for the static versions, to keep me from sending other people programs that won't execute on their machines (or that execute very poorly). One doesn't normally use much static linking anymore but static versions of most libraries are usually available in case you want them.

Also, how would I be able to prevent the automatic upgrades of the packages I have tuned? Maybe I can use apt's pin preferences for this. What I would need to track instead would be upgrades to the sources, and then I would need to rebuild.

The other packages I would consider tuning would be the XFree86 server and the X libraries, the Gnome libraries, and Mozilla and the libraries it depends on, the netatalk and samba fileservers, and maybe Evolution. I have built mozilla and xfree86 before, and it's a fair amount of work. A mozilla build requires a gigabyte of free disk space - when I built mozilla on my laptop I had to rush around madly deleting unneeded files to keep the build going.

I think it would be really cool if Debian made processor-optimized builds of at least the libraries available. I know that this would increase the developer's workload. Maybe there would be some way that apt could be modified to enable processor-specific versions to be installed automatically if they are available.

This would be a good opportunity for a commercial debian distributor, to offer debian CD's where everything is processor optimized. Vendors who offered tuned software like this might make better sales, especially if they continued to maintain their distributions as debian is upgraded.

It would be worthwhile for some libraries to include processor-specific optimizations in the source code, guarded by #ifdefs. You can do some of these in C without resorting to assembly code, or you can use small libraries written in assembly to give you access to the instructions you need. For example, I have seen that the library source code that comes with the Metrowerks CodeWarrior IDE has a lot of source that is specific to the PowerPC G4.

To some extent it can even be worthwhile to build optimizations for several platforms and choose which one to use at runtime, by checking which microprocessor a library is executing on. One trick is for a shared library to consist mostly of stubs that call through to the real library, and then it dynamically loads the best library for the processor at program startup.

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/