Re: Watch TV Card over remote X?

At 04:37 PM 5/27/2002 -0500, Kent West wrote:
I've got a small home LAN. One box has an ATI All-In-Wonder card. I can watch TV on it no problem with xawtv. I can "ssh -X firstbox.ip.address" into it and run xterm remotely, but when I try to run xawtv it complains that there's no such device as /dev/video0 and no video grabber device available.

Once upon a time, I did this at home using the realaudio suite of apps. The "FREE" version of producer can make 2 different stream bit rates, the pay version can do all bit rates at the same time. The "FREE" version of real server is good for only a few clients at the same time.

I used the producer and server on my home Linux server box with a bttv card in it, and the clients were my windoze box, my Linux desktop and my roommates windoze and Linux boxes. We could have all 4 clients watching 300KB streams and the PIII/600 server was running at about 25% cpu and lots of network bandwidth available for other stuff. The only problem was when the video got really busy, the frame rate would drop and the server cpu % would climb up to > 70%.

If there is a cool way of doing this with non-pay software, I would like to know about it. I have use for this at home myself (soon) and was going to do the real-server thing again...

Another cool thing the real-server can do is "archive" or record the "live" stream into .ram files. You can replay this again from the server...

Is it possible to do what I want to do? If so, what am I doing wrong? If it's not possible, that's okay; I just thought it'd be a really neat trick with lots of "Can you do this with Windows" gloat value.

Thanks!

Kent