Re: OT: debian-beer (was Re: wrapping [was: Re: disable paragraphflows in mozilla?])

On Sun, 26 May 2002, Ian D. Stewart wrote:

> Oh, that's nothing.  You should see what the Yanks do to folks they
> really don't like (hint: do a Google search for 'Sherman March Sea').
> You wanna talk about bitter?  South Carolina's unofficial state motto
> is 'WE didn't surrender'

Ian,

I've heard it said on this list that Canucks and Aussies have inferiority
complexes.  I think we Yanks do too.  Being upstarts (+- 200 years makes
us adolescents in the history of humankind) we are a bit sensitive about
self image.  We actually have a lot in common with our Australian cousins.
And Canadians too.  The average Yank is a good guy who doesn't trust
the government, works hard and behaves decently towards his neighbors.
But our behaviour as a nation is still young and foolish - maybe if
our elected officials served their country rather than their wallets
we would mature as nation, at a faster pace.   I think the lacking
leadership is a serious issue here...greed (and avarice) don't make for
stability - either internally or in the community of nations.

I've come to regard (former President) Jimmy Carter as a sort of Yank
version of Gandhi.  He works hard to help people in need (Habitat for
Humanity), uses his influence for the common good (trying to normalise
relations with Castro), is a humble guy and occasionally has "lust in
his heart"...he he.  I hope he inspires future leaders as we could sure
use a steadier hand at the helm.

Cheers

Thomas Good                                  e-mail: tomg@sqlclinic.net
Programmer/Analyst                           phone:   (+1) 718.818.5528
Residential Services                         fax:     (+1) 718.818.5056
Behavioral Health Services, SVCMC-NY         mobile:  (+1) 917.282.7359
SQL Clinic - An Open Source Clinical Record           www.sqlclinic.net