Configuring mod_perl on Debian

Dear List,

I have been trying for the better part of the day to get Apache w/mod_perl working on a Debian Woody system. With the help of the Configuration section of the mod_perl Guide, I have set up httpd.conf w/ mod_perl support, I have setup a /perl location with Apache::Registry as the PerlHandler, and I have copied a test script from /usr/share/doc/libapache-mod-perl/examples into /perl. However, whenever I try to display http://localhost/perl/test.pl, the browser (Galeon-1.2.1) displays a dialog asking if I want to save the file to disk or open it with an external application.

here is the pertinant section of httpd.conf:

Alias /perl /var/www/perl

PerlModule Apache::Registry
<Location /perl>
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler Apache::Registry
    Options ExecCGI
    allow from all
    PerlSendHeader on
</Location>

Any clues as to what I may be doing wrong, or where to look for more info, would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ian