Re: Comparing squid cache versus nothing

on Wed, May 22, 2002, Paul 'Baloo' Johnson (baloo@ursine.dyndns.org) wrote:

> Is there a good way to benchmark performance on web surfing with squid
> doing caching and without on a small household network?

What are you hoping to compare?

The cache stats manager will provide you a hit rate (by pages and bytes
IIRC) which should give you an idea of what kind of performance boost
you _should_ be getting.  This will vary according to your actual
Internet connection speed and other factors (DNS resolution, cookies,
and offsite graphics (banners) are significant slowdown factors).

I'd activate cache, flush it then run an automated pull of a slew of
sites tried against both a proxied and unproxied session.  You can get a
list of sites (if you want to mirror your own behavior) from the squid
cache logs themselves.

Are you trying to prove something to someone or satisfy your own
curiosity?

Peace.

   The best damned coffee on the planet:
     Graffeo Coffee, 735 Columbus Ave., San Francisco, California, USA, Earth
       http://www.graffeo.com/