Re: Acroread segfault

Lo, on Thursday, May 23, Michael Jinks did write:

> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 06:21:27PM -0500, Richard Cobbe wrote:
> >
> > I can't tell from the parts of your X log that you included, but what
> > color depth are you running on these machines?  In my experience,
> > Acroread really doesn't like 24bit color at all; it's much happer in
> > either 16bit or 32bit.
>
> Oho!  24-bit it is, which BTW also plays nasty for Netscape.

Exactly my experience.  Once I switched to 16- or 32-bit color, both
apps started behaving nicely again.  (That said, netscape under 24-bit
color works fine, it just looks kinda funny.)

I gather that this is a general trend: 24-bit color modes were added
kinda late in the game, so not all applications handle them very nicely.
IMO, a well-designed and well-implemented app should work regardless of
the color depth (except perhaps for a minimum), but I've never done X
development, so what do I know?

> (Yeah they still want to use that too. :( ) So we were going to have
> to try other color depths for these machines anyway, if it doesn't
> work I'll post a link to an strace.

I can't speak for other folks on the list, but I know so little about
acroread, Netscape, or X that an strace won't do me much good.

My suspicion is that the problem stems from an interaction between
acroread and the X server.  Since these aren't system calls, I don't
think these will necessarily show up on an strace dump, or at least not
in a meaningful fashion.  (Depending on the situation, they may involve
several system calls, as for networking, but I don't think those will
help you much.)

Richard