Re: Modifying a bootable ISO iamge?

On Fri, 2002-05-24 at 12:18, stan wrote:
> I'm starting to play around with modifying my brand new TiVo.
>
> There is a bootable CD ISO on the net with some tools for working on these,
> but it contains some tools (mfs tools) which are of an older version thna I
> need.
>
> Now, since I will be booting from thsi CD, it would be convienent if I
> could inpack this ISO smewhere, replace the old tools with the new ones,
> and warp all of this back up inot an ISO for burning to a CD again.
>
> Is this possible, using tools on my woody machine? If so could someone give
> me some clues?

mount -o loop -t isofs /path/to/iso /mnt/isoimage

I think that is it, but Im not sure.  basically you want to mount it on
a loop back file system.
from the mount man page
"THE LOOP DEVICE
       One further possible type is a mount via the loop device. For
example, the command

         mount /tmp/fdimage /mnt -t msdos -o
loop=/dev/loop3,blocksize=1024

       will set up the loop device /dev/loop3 to correspond to the file
/tmp/fdimage, and then mount this device on /mnt.  This type of mount
knows about three
       options, namely loop, offset and encryption, that are really
options to losetup(8).  If the mount requires a passphrase, you will be
prompted  for  one
       unless  you  specify  a  file descriptor to read from instead
with the --pass-fd option. If no explicit loop device is mentioned (but
just an option `-o
       loop' is given), then mount will try to find some unused loop
device and use that.  If you are not so unwise as to make /etc/mtab  a
symbolic  link  to
       /proc/mounts  then  any  loop  device allocated by mount will be
freed by umount.  You can also free a loop device by hand, using
`losetup -d', see los­
       etup(8).
"
but the above command worked for me when I was working with the woody cd
image a while back.

--
-Peace kid
  Scott Henson	shenson2@wvu.edu

"God's the ultimate playa, so naturally He's going to have some haters,"
rapper Ice Cube said. "But these haters need to realize that  if you
mess with the man upstairs, you will get your ass smote. True dat."