Mozilla mail problems

Is anyone having problems with folders not listing messages in Mozilla mail? It was working fine and I haven't changed anything. Further, I can drag and drop messages into the folder but if I select the folder, it won't list the messages in the folder and gives me a message. Or sometimes, Mozilla lists the messages in the folder, but selecting a message to view won't display and gives a message not found. E.g., the message is

"The file /home/brian/.mozilla/default/Mail/shawmail.vc.shawcable.net/Inbox.sbd/career.sbd/applied,%20etc.?number cannot be found. Please check the location and try again."
The directory structure for this pop3 account is:
Inbox ---> career --->
applied, etc. replies

Should a folder name not have symbols or spaces?

Brian