Re: Problem with kernel-image-2.4.18-686-smp_2.4.18-5_i386 from testing

> On 05/24 05:07 Ken Causey wrote:
> > VFS: Cannot open root device "802" or 08:02
> > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
> > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:02
> >
> > I have a single SCSI drive (2 partitions, first is swap, second is
> root)
> > connected via an Adaptec 29160.
>
> I didn't see any Adaptec's message before the above lines.
> Did you have Adaptec driver support in the kernel? You can't have it
> in a
> module.
>
> Oki

I'll just paste in my response to Brendan Butler:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but isn't the entire point of initrd to
NOT have to compile everything and the kitchen sink into the kernel?
The kernel very early on mounts a ramdisk from the initrd image at which
point modules and things can be loaded before the kernel starts doing
its thing, no?

Perhaps I'm mistaken but I get the impression that the kernel is able to
mount the initrd image:

> >RAMDISK: cramfs filesystem found at block 0
> >RAMDISK: Loading 1988 blocks [1 disk] into ram disk... done.

and it resides on the scsi hd.  Or is this something else?

Ken