Re: Debian laptop (vendors)

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 06:26:01AM -0400, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On 23/05/02 Bill Wohler did speaketh:
>
> >   No idea on whether IBM will install Debian for you. I installed Debian
> >   on my Thinkpad T20 without much fuss. The Cisco 802.11 card works out
> >   of the box too. I've been happy with the laptop.
>
>     I haven't seen too many problems with Debian on laptops now that the 2.4
> kernel is reasonably stable. Running Woody and upgrading to 2.4.18 on my Sony
> VAIO fixed all my problems, except for one small bug in XFree86 with respect
> to the S3 chipset, so I'm waiting for someone to package X 4.2.

As a long time linux user but a new debian user, I installed Woody, then upgraded to sid
for the first time yesterday on an IBM X20 with Lucent orinoco card. Everything works great
except one thing I haven't figured out yet. When I leave X, the screen goes blank and I can't
get it back without restarting X or rebooting, so I can't get back to text mode once I run X.
Probably something with the framebuffer stuff.