'hw' RAID1

Hi
How can I install Debian on ABIT motherboard with onboard HPT370A controler?
For other distros there are boot images on hpt homepage...
I tried to install with:
"linux.bin ide2=0x...,0x... ide3=0x..., 0x..." like it says in some article
but  when it boots it finds disks hde and hdg and freezes at "Checking
partitions:   hde"
I've checked my hw, for a simple/stupid test I've even tried to install RH7.2
with a boot img from thgeir web site and it went OK - I could see only one
disk sda.
there's a htpxx-opensource...tgz which I've downloaded and build but don't
realy know how to use it :-(
any help...
robert