Re: New Debian user - a bunch of problems

Thus spake Glen Lee Edwards last Wed, May 22, 2002 at 04:06:34PM -0500:

>    Before I begin, I want to state that I'm very impressed with
>    Debian. It's obvious that some very talented people put in a lot of
>    quality time on it. I now have it installed on all 3 of my servers,
>    which formerly ran Red Hat.  The base system install went great on all
>    of them.  I'm now having a bunch of nagging problems getting
>    individual packages to work:

I like Debian too, because of everything that it is! Other distros may
have included improvement hacks in their kernels, maybe some more progs,
but the ease of administration that Debian brings is a sure winner for
me.

>    1) I can't get X to work right.  It installed fine, and starts ok.
>    But screen resolution is something like 640x480 when it's supposed to
>    be 1152x864.  I have xfree86 4.1.0-16 installed.  Any suggestions will
>    be appreciated.  I need X to run ASAP because I have to use xemacs to
>    update by hand a 6000 line database that's due tomorrow evening.  BTW,
>    if anyone is using an IBM 2235 C50 monitor, can you send me the
>    refresh rates?

Either use the debconf method for setting up X, or let X guess your
system by doing "XFree86 -configure"

>    2). The mouse is going nuts.  When I move it around it does all kinds
>    of weird things, including acting like I've pressed one of the 3
>    buttons when I haven't, or sen't kill commands to fvwm, etc.  I have a
>    Logitech M-C48 wheel mouse.  If any of you have the console and X
>    settings for it, I'd appreciate it.

You can either disable/kill gpm prior to starting X, or use gpm as the
mouse device in X.

>    3) Is there a way to get Pine to work on Debian?  I can't find a
>    package for it, so I installed a Pine rpm using alien.  It installed
>    fine, but now errors out stating that it can't load the necessary
>    libraries.  But some of the libraries it says it's missing aren't on
>    the Red Hat 7.2 box that I've been running Pine on (libcom_err.so.3)?

Pine is distributed in source-only form, due to license constraints.
There are Debian packages for such sources, nonetheless.

>    5) I run several MyPHPNuke boards on some domains I host.  When I try
>    to access the domains, instead of opening the site, it downloads the
>    file instead.  Apparently it can't figure out that it's supposed to
>    execute PHP.  I have PHP4 installed.  Suggestions?

The http server doesn't recognize the .php extension. In apache you'll
need to enable such (it's in /etc/apache/httpd.conf).

--

  -->paolo

Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@free.net.ph