Re: Emacs and shell variables

Stefan Bellon <sbellon@sbellon.de> writes:

> > I would think that you'd want the environment variables to be visible
> > to your entire X session, including FVWM and all of the programs it
> > starts.
>
> Hm, haven't thought of that yet.
>
> > How are you starting X?  Are you running one of the display managers
> > like xdm, or do you run startx?
>
> gdm, but without the rest of GNOME, only gdm.

gdm won't evaluate your .bashrc to set the environment variables. The
idomatic solution is to create a ~/.environment file where you set all
of your environment variables, then each of your other .rc files
(.bashrc, .gnomerc, .xsession, etc.) source that file.

--
Dave Carrigan (dave@rudedog.org)            | Yow! Now I understand the
UNIX-Apache-Perl-Linux-Firewalls-LDAP-C-DNS | meaning of ``THE MOD SQUAD''!