Re: Emacs and shell variables

Richard Cobbe wrote:

[snip]

> I would think that you'd want the environment variables to be visible
> to your entire X session, including FVWM and all of the programs it
> starts.

Hm, haven't thought of that yet.

> How are you starting X?  Are you running one of the display managers
> like xdm, or do you run startx?

gdm, but without the rest of GNOME, only gdm.

> Your .bashrc is only read for interactive shells, not scripts or
> anything else.

Yes, I've found this in the man page of bash this morning and now I
start my emacs with

   bash -i -c emacs

which works. :-)

> Does moving the environment settings into .bash_login or
> .bash_profile work?  See bash's manpage for details about when it
> reads each of the various configuration files.

I'll try this as well, thanks.

Greetings,

Stefan.

--
 Stefan Bellon * <mailto:sbellon@sbellon.de> * <http://www.sbellon.de/>
 PGP 2 and OpenPGP keys available from my home page

 Waughning : Spel chekur knot wurking at phull kapacity