unmounting device after playing movie with xine

Whenever I play a (divx) movie off a partition or CD with xine, I am unable to umount the device when I am done. The attempt always fails with a 'device is busy' error message. 'fuser -mv <device>' doesn't report that anything is using any of the files on the partition, and if I log out of X and log back in I am then able to umount the device. My system is a pretty standard woody install and xine-ui is 0.9.8-4 and libxine0 is 0.9.8-2. Not being able to umount CDs is more than moderately annoying, does anyone have any ideas?