Re: Serious "Bug" in most major Linux distros.

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 05:57:16PM -0700, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 05:04:59PM -0700, Petro wrote:
> > On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 03:46:47PM -0700, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> > > You do have a valid point, but a statically linked root shell will
> not
> > > always work. At least you shouldn't rely on it being sufficient...
> >     You don't rely on your airbag (no, not your local politician, the
> >     one in your car) being sufficent, nor your seat belt (or if you
> ride
> >     a motorcycle, your Helmet etc.), however you want them there when
> >     you need them, right?
> Yep. As long as it is practical. It depends on how far you think is
> practical.  (I wouldn't rely on my politician either). At some point,
> the extra effort simply isn't worth it. You seem to want to go further;
> that's OK. As long as I'm not forced to.

    All I'm asking for at this point is something that the rest of the
    Unix World has done forever, a statically linked /sbin/sh for roots
    use.

    Is this the first time someone has brought this up?

> >     Mostly just some basic copy tools.
> If you need to pick things out of .debs, then you'll need a working
> dpkg. Or ar + tar ( & gzip if memory serves).

    Actually, just tar and cp.

> >     Looks like I'm going to have to learn how to make custom debs.
> If you really must, then it should be relatively easy to "apt-get
> source", apply a patch, "fakeroot debian/rules binary". In fact, you
> should end up with a quite small patch (depending on the package in
> question); enough to at least semi-automate the process for future
> versions. And you probably need your own (small-ish) debian mirror.

  Heck, I've already got three, or 6 if you consider non-US to be a
  seperate mirror.

> Correction: Relatively easy, and a relatively large amount of work...

    Doesn't sound like it.

> [ snip, snip, snip ]
> > > suitable kernel if you have some esoteric hardware...
> >     You say that like I can wander over and stick a floppy in.
> >     The vast majority of my machines, and the ones I worry about are 50
> >     miles from here.
> Point taken. But for some types of failures, you'll *have* to get out of
> the chair anyway :-)

    Not the way I'm planning it.

    At this point in time I can reinstall any of my Debian and almost
    all of my Redhat boxes (with one exception) from either here (work)
    or home. I have roughly 5% spares (meaning that with the exception
    of some specialized hardware) I an lose and regenerate 5% of my
    servers w/out cutting in to my capacity. I've also got about 30%
    spare capacity in most of my clusters, so I can lose a box or three
    out of most clusters and not miss them even during peak loads.

    The thing is, I want to be able to get in to certain boxes and get
    the (money) logs off before I nuke them.

    However, that is *my* specific case.

    As I iterated earlier, and am re-iterating now, there are a
    multitude of reasons for a small set of statically linked programs
    on a network connected machine. Root's shell is definately one of
    those.

--
My last cigarette was roughly 29 days, 16 hours, 34 minutes ago.
YHBW