Re: Problem With vsftpd - "tunable_ftp_username" ???

jspies@sun.ac.za wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 02:35:38AM +0100, Nick wrote:
> > I just replaced the ordinary ftpd as supplied with my Debian Woody/Pre
> > system by the vsftpd deb in Testing, but now can't actually run any
> > FTP sessions because vsftpd dies every time I connect, as follows :
> >
> > # ftp django
> > Connected to django.mydomain.org.
> > 500 OOPS: vsftpd: cannot locate user specified in
> > 'tunable_ftp_username'
> > ftp> bye
> >
> > I took a real guess and added the directive
> >   tunable_ftp_username=nobody
> > to my vsftpd.conf (*guessing* because the identifier
> > "tunable_ftp_username" doesn't appear anywhere in either the man page,
>
> There is reference to tunable_ftp_username in the manpage.
>
> Did you read man vsftpd.conf?

Yep, I did.  There is no occurrence of the string "tunable" anywhere in the vsftpd.conf man page ...

However, I've been delving into the source code, and now understand this - the author uses the name of a config file directive *prefixed by* "tunable_" inside the source code as a variable name.  So what I needed to do was define "ftp_username" in vsftpd.conf.  For some reason the Debian package leaves a little to be desired in this area, and neither asks you how you want this directive set, nor creates an account for use with vsftpd anonymous connections.  The default for this directive is the name "ftp", but there has never been an "ftp" account on my Woody system, nor was one created by the vsftpd installation.

So this was caused by me defining the unknown variable "tunable_ftp_username" ... yes, that which it said it wanted ... :(

> What are you trying to do - log in as anonymous user?

Log in as any user at all - I was getting the errors on my very first test connections, before any "login:" prompt had even appeared.

> Have you enabled it in the config file?
>
> # Allow anonymous FTP?
> anonymous_enable=YES

Yep - the sample conf file supplied with the Debian deb package has that setting in it already, with "local_enable" commented out (i.e. set to NO).

Thanks for the feedback - my vsftpd is working now (and I must say it sure is blisteringly fast).  I may submit some comments to the package maintainer.

Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK
--
"You are in a twisty little maze of Sendmail rules, all confusing."