Re: Problem With vsftpd - "tunable_ftp_username" ???

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 02:35:38AM +0100, Nick wrote:
> I just replaced the ordinary ftpd as supplied with my Debian Woody/Pre
> system by the vsftpd deb in Testing, but now can't actually run any
> FTP sessions because vsftpd dies every time I connect, as follows :
>
> # ftp django
> Connected to django.mydomain.org.
> 500 OOPS: vsftpd: cannot locate user specified in
> 'tunable_ftp_username'
> ftp> bye
>
> I took a real guess and added the directive
>   tunable_ftp_username=nobody
> to my vsftpd.conf (*guessing* because the identifier
> "tunable_ftp_username" doesn't appear anywhere in either the man page,
> or the supplied config file), and now I get :

There is reference to tunable_ftp_username in the manpage.

Did you read man vsftpd.conf?

> # ftp django
> Connected to django.mydomain.org.
> 500 OOPS: unrecognised variable in config file

I use vsftpd on Redhat on ftp://ftp.sun.ac.za and it is performing
very well.

What are you trying to do - log in as anonymous user?

Have you enabled it in the config file?

# Allow anonymous FTP?
anonymous_enable=YES

Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "O come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel
      before the LORD our maker."          Psalms 95:6