Passing io/eth params to 8319too driver

I've got a known-good (well, known-crap-but-known-to-work) Realtek
8139 based NIC that is absolutely fine under kernel 2.2, with the
rtl8139 driver, but hangs the box solid if 8139too is used, under 2.2
/or/ 2.4.

Not a problem under 2.2, as I've just been using rtl8139, but
that driver doesn't seem to be available for 2.4 in the vanilla
kernel.org 2.4.18.

I'm guessing that, under 2.4

a) I have to use 8139too

Since the hang occurs at boot immediately after
"Configuring network interfaces: " with no errors reported:

b) it's the driver's probing of other io addresses that's causing
the hang.

Note that (b) is, of course, very probably, wrong.

So, to cut to the chase: how do I pass the io and irq values to the
driver?

Please note that I'm aware of having (after an update-modules) the two
lines
alias eth0 8139too
options 8139too io=0xe00 irq=12
in /etc/modules.conf

and also the line

append="ether=12,0xe00,eth0"
in /etc/lilo.conf.

Neither one appears to do much good.

Any 8139too-under-2.4 users out there able to lend a hand?

cheers!
jc

--
It may stop, it may not.  And stop calling me "dj".