Re: Unidentified subject!

Hi

Debian and all the other distributions like RedHat and SuSe is os's
with consoles(if you can put it like that). It is only the underlying
system on which you work. The graphical interface you are refering to
is a program like the old win 3x. For a beginner I would advise that
you selected X-Windows system in your installation with Gnome or KDE as
window managers. X-Windows only give you the underlying system for
graphical interface like the screen settings and mouse interfaces. The
window managers will take over from there and take care of how your
interface works and looks. If it is how windows is dragged or what
happens when you press a key combination. Once again, for a x windoze
user I would advise using KDE which is very much like the windoze
interface. If you boot your computer and find yourself with a text
screen looking like this for example

Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 jmak.majuba.sun.ac.za tty1

jmak@jmak:~$

type in
	startx
If you did select X-Windows system with a window manager you will find
yourself(hopefully) with a graphical screen with a toolbar, lots of
buttons on it and a desktop with icons. Playing around should make you
quite comfortable with this interface quite easily if you knew your
windoze very well and are a easy learner.

Greetings
Tinus