Re: Locale setting on my console to see Japanese character

Deepak Kotian, 2002-May-19 00:24 +0530:
>    Hi,
>
>    I have all the locales on my machine. locale -a shows it.
>    I have set the LANG as japanese, but when I do "ls -l" at command prompt
>    on
>    a directory. I do not proper Japanese character in the
>    time stamp column of the output. It is not English.
>    It seems the terminal is not able to display Japanese.
>
>    I want japanese charaters to be displayed on my LINUX console.
>
>    What do I have to do ?
>    I do not/cannot use Japanese Windows Client.
>    If anyone has any idea, please let me know.
>
>    Thanks and Regards
>    Deepak

I'm going through the same thing and I managed to fix it, at least
temporarily.

I did "dpkg-reconfigure locales" to make sure the proper locale was
chosen first.  Then, I checked the /etc/environment file and changed
the LANG setting there and then checked /etc/profile to see if
anything was set there for LANG or LC_*, but nothing was.  I then
changed the environment variable with "export LANG=en_US".  And that
did the trick.  Look for an LC_ settings too, such as LC_ALL or
LC_LIBRARY.  These would need changing too.

I hope this helps...jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User