Re: how does root run a graphical prog

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 11:45:31PM +0700, Willy S wrote:
> How come root can not run a graphical program under other user
> session. Let say, I do 'su' and I try to launch gkrellm. Xterm will
> produce this message:

> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
>
> Everything fine if I run a console program under root. This problem
> only occurs if I run a program as a root under other people session.

I just set XAUTHORITY=$HOME/.Xauthority, which propagates to the root
session (as long as you don't use 'su -', and as long as your home
directory isn't on root-squashed NFS). That's probably the simplest of
the various hacks.

As for xhost, fortune says:

<Overfiend> xhost +localhost should only be done by people who would
            paint their hostname and root password on an interstate
            overpass.