Re: help

(this mailing list is for development of the installation system, not for
support of it.  moving to debian-user)

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 11:33:29AM -0500, GARY P LARGESS wrote:

> Then "VFS: Insert root floppy disk to be loaded into RAM disk and press
> ENTER"
>
> This is where I'm stuck.
> I have not been able to figure out how to make the root FD. And believe
> me I have spent many many many hours trying to figure it out on the
> Debian main page. This is my last hope before giving up, and using RH.

Do the same thing that you did to make the boot floppy, but use
images-1.44/root.bin instead of images-1.44/rescue.bin.  That's all there is
to it.

The documentation that you were looking for is in

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-install-methods.en.html

under "5.4 Description of Installation System Files".  Specifically, "5.4.2
Files for the Initial System Boot" has a list of all of the root images,
with URLs no less.

There is similar information in

/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/README.txt

on your CD.

> Can you tell me how to make a root FD, that is appropriate for this
> machine and kernel- image-2.2.17_2.2.17pre6-1? And if I need another
> floppy after the root... please tell me how to make that also.
>
> Or how to force the machine to boot from CD, or how to install Debain...
> after booting in RH... or any other method that would allow me to install
> Debian on this machine.

Booting from a CD would be the easiest method, but some older machines are
not capable of this at all.  The stock floppies will almost certainly work,
though.

--
 - mdz