Re: dhcp in woody

Hi.. I just wanted to say that I have the _exact_ same problem. DHCP
works fine with debian compiled kernel images, but when I compile my
own, it wont work. (using 8139too.o). Is there some kind of special
config options that need to be set? or?

/Daniel

On 20/05-02 01.53, Alex Moreno wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing to this list because my problem is on the network
> configuration, not in the laptop or the pcmcia package. I explain it...
> I make a clean instalation of woody, and when it has finished, i make
> dhcpd and the script catches all the network configuration of the
> network in my university. When i try to compile a new kernel, all is
> right, but when i try to make dhcpd running it fails. I've noticed that
> in the clean installation the wireless device is named eth1 (eth0 is a
> standar network device). When i compile the new kernel and the pcmcia
> packge with the driver for my wireless card the device is named wlan0
> instead of eth1. Maybe could be that the problem, but i can't repair it.
> When i run dhclient with my new kernel (and pcmcia card working
> perfectly, im absolutely sure), it appears the device, wlan0, but the
> network is not configured. With ifconfig i get a BROADCAST RUNNING,
> nothing else. In potato that works perfectly with the same wireless
> card.
> I had the same problem with a standar pci ethernet card in another
> computer, when i changed from potato to woody, so the problem must be in
> the differences in the new woody in front of potato. I had to come back
> to potato the last time (but im not going to make the same).
> Can anyone help me? Thank you very much...
>

> --

The day-to-day travails of the IBM programmer are so amusing to most of
us who are fortunate enough never to have been one -- like watching
Charlie Chaplin trying to cook a shoe.