Re: Debian on an old system

You could try the database API that is included with ZooLib. It has a C++ api. It doesn't have a network protocol of any sort, although a network server has been built with it that uses a proprietary (and I imagine special-purpose) protocol.

It's pretty efficient.

You should get the code that's in CVS, the release code is pretty old and we're starting to talk about making a new release soon.

http://zoolib.sourceforge.net/

You can browse the database API in:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/zoolib/zoolib/src_other/ZDBase/

Most uses of zoolib are for cross-platform GUI, but you can build a zoolib application with no GUI, I'm pretty sure you could build a database application that uses ncurses with it without having to link to the X11 libraries.

It also provides a C++ api for TCP networking.  It is multithreaded.

There are actually two database file formats provided in the CVS version. The newer format is a fault tolerant data store that is based on the Phase Tree algorithm that was invented by this guy who's also working on a fault tolerant filesystem for linux that uses it. It's kind of like journaling but different.

You can see the phase tree stuff in:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/zoolib/zoolib/src_other/storage/

the slotstore is the older database format, which works well (and maybe is faster) but is vulnerable in the event of powerfailures or crashes.

Best,

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford