Re: how can I install the dpkg tool?

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 09:41:28AM +0800, Squirrel wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > Can you give a bit more information about what you're doing, though? It
> > sounds rather dangerous. Installing .debs verbatim on a non-Debian
> > system could break it, as dpkg will keep track of file conflicts with
> > other packages but not with random files lying around from an earlier
> > installation.
>
> I want to install debian linux on my MIPS machine.I have compiled a
> linux kernel and it can boot  the redhat7.2. When I boot the redhat7.2,I
> just copy the base file architecture into my hard disc,then I install
> the gcc, then I compile the other tools.So I want to do under the debian
> just like under the redhat,but there is no dpkg tool and I can't install
> the gcc.That is my question.Can you help me?

[Hm, sent to me separately as well as the cc, presumably by mistake ...
here's a copy of my private reply for the possible benefit of others.]

If I were you, I'd investigate the debootstrap package, which can be
compiled under Red Hat. It should be possible to perform RH->Debian
sidegrades this way.