Re: Recommended tape backup software - tape vs disk

hi ya ron

> [snip]
> > 	- tons of problems with tapes for "large amount of data"...
>
> You get what you pay for.  At work, we use DLTs, and _never_
> have problems, as long as we run the cleaning tape weekly.
> Part of the reason is that DLT drives are made well, and another
> reason is that these drives have hardware ECC.

<flame suit on>
tapes are less reliable than disks...
</flame suit off>

and i dont ever wanna remove tapes... some moron always forgets
to change the tape etc... or clean the head later

> > 	- i prefer disks for backups... fast, easy, cheap and
> > 	(offline) live backups
>
> On a production box of any size, that is totally impractical.
> Tapes are, by their nature, removable, whereas, IDE disks are
> not.  SCSI disks are, but a 72GB disk is _way_ expensive.
> So, on a box the size we use at work, in order to have a month
> of backups, you'd need 90 72GB SCSI disks. No fscking way!!
> 90 DLT4 tapes, on the other hand, is expensive, but affordable.

precisely why tapes are impractical ....
	- but there are tons of data on existing disks ...

160GB ide disks is $150-$200 range... cheap...
	- 1Terabyte of backup in one 1u chassis.. no problem...
	and i do compressed backups of up to 3 or 6 months... dpeending
	on diskspace they willing ot buy and user data

IDE disks are ideal for backups... its already up and running
and is live... within a few minute if one does 1:1 mirror backups...
	or goes live as soon as tar uncompresses on disks ...
	( no fussing on where is the tape.. and which tape...

	- lost data need to be recovered and online within the hour...

	- realtime transaction based data is a separate issue...
	( and they have the $$$ too ..hopefully ...

c ya
alvin