java "shortcoming" in Mozilla

I'm running the blackdown distribution of the JDK (1.3.1) and using the
Mozilla plugin. I can't quite figure out why, but for some reason
threads seem to be terminating prematurely. Most simple java apps work
fine, but trying to run any of the popcap games (www.popcap.com) results
in the "loader" portion of the program loading and then immediately
terminating. This is a problem since the loader portion of the program
is responsible for actually downloading the full game.

After going through the java2 plugin control panel I've failed to find
anything useful. The .java_wrapper script has a promising entry
referring to the J2SE_PREEMPTCLOSE environment variable. Unfortunately,
.java_wrapper doesn't appear to be called by the java plugin.

Any suggestions?

-Alex