Re: versions

Thus spake Jisv last Sun, May 19, 2002 at 01:05:58AM +0100:

> This seems like a stupid question, but if I download the current stable
> version - potato?, does that use the 2.4.18 kernel and xf86 4.xx?
> I have done a bit of reading and I seem to think it uses older software?
> Perhaps I'm wrong though. I currently use Mandrake 8.2 and think I'd like to
> replace it.

Potato is OLD. It uses the 2.2 kernel and X 3.3.6 by default. And indeed
it uses older versions of most software (like glibc 2.1, etc).

To use the 2.4 kernels on Potato systems, you'll need to install some
backported packages (which are maintained by Adrian Bunk). There are
also unofficial X 4.1.0 packages provided by Charls Botha. Note that
though they are stable enough, Debian doesn't explicitly endorse such.

To use newer versions of software in Potato - you might need to
recompile and repackage the source of those programs. There's a HOWTO
for doing such anyway.

The upcoming stable distribution - Woody - features fairly recent
software. It still uses 2.2 by default though installing 2.4 can be done
also (there's an explanation for this in the Debian docs).

For the most recent software, there's also the unstable distribution
(codenamed Sid) - unstable in the sense that it's more like a moving
target (though at times it would live up by its name)

> --

  -->paolo

Paolo Alexis Falcone <pfalcone@free.net.ph> 	GnuPG KeyID: 0xEADFF6F4
University of the Philippines Manila

"I think ideology sucks. This world would be a better place if people have less
ideology, and a whole lot more "I do this because it's FUN and because others
might find it useful, not because I have religion."" --Linus Torvalds