Re: versions

Jisv wrote:

> This seems like a stupid question, but if I download the current stable
> version - potato?, does that use the 2.4.18 kernel and xf86 4.xx?
> I have done a bit of reading and I seem to think it uses older software?
> Perhaps I'm wrong though. I currently use Mandrake 8.2 and think I'd like to
> replace it.
>
> --

the current stable uses kernel 2.2.19 and X 3.3.6.
yes indeed, it would seem that stable does use
somewhat older software. it is nonetheless,
'stable' and works great for multi-purpose server
functions. and slowly but surely, is making it's
way to become a full blown 3.0 release (now
2.2r6). we all held our breath for the official
3.0 release that was going to come out this month
but there are some security issues to be worked
on.

the way i typcially set up my boxen is to use
debian/freebsd for my servers and use
mandrake/suse for my desktops. thus far, it's been
a great combo and i haven't run into any major
problems.

good luck to you in your quest.

-jeff