Re: Maybe a corny idea ...

n Fri, 17 May 2002 22:40:39 -0700 (PDT) Elizabeth Barham <soggytrousers@yahoo.com> wrote:

--- Soul Computer <scwawcaac@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Maybe this is a bad idea, but I thought that
> since Linux is the original multi-user,
> multitasking operating system for the PC, it
> could be used to do some really neat stuff.  What
> I had in mind for those of you who could afford
> it was the purchasing of a flat screen LCD touch
> screen, then laying it flat, and using it as a
> variable input device, similar to a configurable
> keyboard/joystick device.  Another display would
> be attached to the computer as a CRT, and from
> this dual-screen console, all kinds of cool stuff
> could be done.  For example, the "keyboard" could
> be configured with throttle and directional
> controls for games with all kinds of gauges and
> buttons, and a standard QUERTY design the next,
> and some other layout the next.

Yes that would be nice. One practical use of this is
enabling quadroplegics or other-disabled persons to
use the computer more easily by holding a stylus in
their mouth or via a headset to operate the machine
while also providing instant feedback on the
"keyboard/screen" thingy (feedback in regards to their
commands so they would not need to look up at the CRT
until their command has been entered succesfully).

Elizabeth
I had not thought of that.  Incidently, I was
corrected on Linux being the first Unix clone for
the PC.  In any event, the use for this device
would seem to be endless.  I had thought it would
be a cool way for Linux to compete with Windoze
and provide an outstanding game interface where
Windoze would have a hard time of it, but as an
accessibility function for individuals with
disibilities, it would hold great promise.

I have a disability, so I should have thought of
this [blushing heavily].

->Scwawcaac<-