Re: wchar_t , when should one use ?

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 12:20:31PM -0700, Craig Dickson wrote:
> Deepak Kotian wrote:
>
> > When should one use wchar and when should one use char. I have heard
> > lot about UNICODE. But what is the real need of wchar_t type ?
> Linux itself doesn't have any C functions; it's just the kernel. You're
> probably thinking of the GNU C library.
Yes.
> I have no idea what the GNU C
> library's Unicode support is like. If it lacks those functions, it's
> probably because they are non-standard and there has been no great
> demand for them from users of that library.
Well there was :)

I thought the whole point of moving from libc5 to libc6=glibc for CJK
people was supporting these.  From current "info Libc":

   As shown in some other part of this manual, a completely new family
has been created of functions that can handle wide character texts in
memory.  The most commonly used character sets for such internal wide
character representations are Unicode and ISO 10646 (also known as UCS
for Universal Character Set).  Unicode was originally planned as a
16-bit character set; whereas, ISO 10646 was designed to be a 31-bit
large code space.  The two standards are practically identical.  They
have the same character repertoire and code table, but Unicode specifies
added semantics.  At the moment, only characters in the first `0x10000'

 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.