Re: wchar_t , when should one use ?

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 12:33:50AM +0530, Deepak Kotian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When should one use wchar and when should one use char. I have heard
> lot about UNICODE.  But what is the real need of wchar_t type ?
>
> Actually, I have many read many files through a C program and it has
> Japanese text as well. What is advisable to use. Should it be fgetws
> or fgets, will also do. When should one use fgetws or fgets and
> reason.  Please let me know, if someome can explain in simple terms or
> any document on this would be helpful.
>
> Moreover, windows has wsystem(), wstat(),etc, which LINUX does not
> have, any reasons for that.
>
> Please let me know, if anyone has any idea.

You might want to read

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/

It pretty much explains it all.

HTH,
Matijs

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux mus 2.4.17mvz4 #1 Fri Mar 15 23:30:15 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Matijs van Zuijlen

    ... designed to fill holes or cracks of not more than two cubic vims.
			    -- Robert Sheckley, Untouched by Human Hands