Re: X forwarding dead in Sid

On 2002-05-16 22:27 +0000, Alex Malinovich <demonbane@the-love-shack.net> wrote:
> I've been using X forwarding between my 2 Sid computers for a while now
> with no problem. However, at some point since my last update (about 3
> weeks ago) X forwarding over SSH seems to have died. I run ssh with the
> -X option, and I've checked the xserverrc on both systems to make sure
> that -nolisten tcp isn't in there. Everything SEEMS to be set up ok, yet
> X forwarding isn't working. $DISPLAY isn't being set when I SSH in,
> though it used to before. I haven't tried setting it manually yet
> because, I hate to admit it, I'm not exactly sure of the format for a
> remote X $DISPLAY. :)

Just check /etc/ssh/sshd_config and make sure you have
'X11Forwarding yes' in there.  Then restart sshd and 'ssh -X' should
work just fine.

Before you issue 'ssh -X <remotehost>' you should have DISPLAY set to
something like ':0'.  If it's not set, there is no X connection to
forward as far as SSH is concerned.  After logging in, if X forwarding
was enabled, DISPLAY should be something like '<remotehost>:10.0'

In any case, you shouldn't need to manually modify the DISPLAY
environment variable.

And do make sure the '-nolisten tcp' *is* there.  Unless you know for
sure you need the X server listening to TCP connections, disable it.  It
is not needed when using SSH with X forwarding.

--
Tommi Komulainen                                 Tommi.Komulainen@iki.fi
GPG 1024D/68388EE6    6FD6 DD79 EB38 BF6F 3533  09C0 04A8 9871 6838 8EE6