Re: exim configuration

On Fri, 17 May 2002, Dave Sherohman wrote:

> You'll want to base the server on option 1 (Internet site) or 2
> (Internet site using smarthost), depending on whether you feel a need
> to route all outgoing mail through your ISP's server.  A few sites
> will refuse to accept mail from 'unknown' machines and may assume
> you're a spammer if you don't use your ISP to launder the mail.

Checking against ISP customer IP pools is pretty rare.  My ISP's
mailserver is blocked by three RBLs I check against at last check, I'd
rather not route outbound through servers with known stupid admins.

> Personally, though, I don't use a smarthost as these sites are few
> and far between these days, provided that you have a static IP
> address.

Yup.  Mostly because assuming a particular ISP is a spammer based
entirely on the fact it's on the other side of a dialup, cable modem, or
DSL bridge fromt he rest of the net is draconian and considered stupid
by most admins.

- --

Version: GnuPG v1.0.7 (GNU/Linux)